One of the best things about my life is that is made up of a series of perfect Saturdays.
I’m back on the project of the art piece using the ephemera. My walnut ink from Step 3 has all dried, finally…I should have used the past couple of days to work on this next step, but I totally got distracted (or as my wee ones say, extracted) by my new art journal.
For this next step, I will be using some inked vellum paper tiles. I did also use these in the first two pieces of this series. This will help with the overall continuity to the set.
These are great for all kinds of stuff. I have used them in my art journals and on cards and in other art works. You can see an example of them used as a title in my Feeling the Calm art journal post. Christopher made me some of these once upon a time, I think I was messing with some vellum for another art journal page, and I always have inks and sprays on my work surfaces. He just grabbed some of the scraps of my vellum and started playing. These little tiles have become one of my staples, he keeps me stocked with vellum tiles of different sizes, and with pieces of very symmetrical tiles throughout and pieces of more organicly non-symmetrical squares, and so forth.
What you do is grab a piece of vellum. I use pretty thick vellum because I have a bunch of it (found a huge pile of it at a garage sale for super cheap). Fold it up, you can experiment with how you like the folds. Chris folds it up and back and forth with heavy creases. Then after he folds all of the squares into the vellum, he gets it folded up into a long strip and then twists it somewhat gently. That’s how he gets the wrinkles throughout the vellum.
Next step is adding the walnut ink (yes, again with the walnut ink!). It adds a bit of color and a bit of the vintage look. The creases take up some of the color of the ink. The more intense the wrinkle, the more intense the ink soaking. So the hard creases take up a lot of ink, the wrinkles from the twisting not as much ink. It gives the overall look of interest and texture and vintage-y goodness.
This does not take near as long to dry as when using the walnut ink on the canvas covered in Mod Podge. Chris sprays it on and lets it sit and then wipes some of the ink off and around on the vellum. The more you mess with it, the better it looks in the end. You can’t really mess it up. And it looks great with other colors of the walnut ink.
I’ll be back in just a bit with pics of the tiles applied onto the canvas…
Okay, here we go. After the walnut ink dried up, I carefully took apart the individual tiles. Then the laborious and loving process of choosing which tiles are going on my canvas…I always have more than I need, and I always have some tiles from previous batches. I mix them up so that I have a pretty good and varied selection of the tiles on one canvas. Then I just stuck ’em on. I used Decou-Page on this set, I think I used heavy matte gel on one of the others. I pretty much just use whichever jar is handy lol. Whichever I use, I make sure to go over the top layer of the tiles as well, making sure they are all really stuck down.
After that’s all good and dried and cured, I’ll hit the next step: painting on the foreground!!